Mark Getty is currently the Chairman of the Board of Getty Images, the world’s leading visual communications company. He co-founded the Company in March 1995 with Jonathan Klein and was Executive Chairman of the company through till 2005. From 2005-2018 he was a non-executive director on the Board, but in 2018 he resumed the Chairmanship on resumption of control of the company by the Getty family.
In the late 1980’s, Mark began his professional career with Kidder Peabody in New York and then joined Hambros Bank Limited in London in 1991.
In his capacity as Trustee and Director of various Getty family entities, Mark oversees a diverse programme of investments in all asset classes. In addition, he has been particularly involved in the family’s direct private equity investment activities, which have included investments such as:
- Wisden Cricinfo, which became the leading on-line publisher of data in the world of cricket.
- Hawk-Eye, the sports technology business which is a leader in ball-tracking for officiating and broadcast enhancement in tennis, soccer and cricket.
- Hakluyt, a UK-based provider of commercial and strategic intelligence and research services to major corporate and financial institutions.
- 7digital, the leading B2B digital music platform in the UK.
- andBeyond Group, Africa’s leading luxury adventure travel and lodging business.
Mark was a Trustee of the National Gallery in London between 1999-2015, as well as its Chairman between 2008-2015. He was appointed KBE in 2016 in recognition of his services to the Arts. In 2017, he became Chairman of Trustees of the British School in Rome.
Mark was educated at Oxford University and the University of California at Berkeley. He currently lives in Rome. His is married and has four children.